“Inline skating is much more than just a sport. It is also a great fitness workout where the flow gets you to another level, both mentally AND physically. :) Done in a ZEN way it even has aspects of meditation. Like a downhill in fresh snow. (However, first things first: learning how to push and stride, and braking on skates. ;) )”
Lex, founder of Skate-A-Round in 1998 and skate fitness instructor during 4 seasons
Skate fitness instructor with choice out of 1. the basics, 2. braking skills, 3. fitness skating and 4. streetwise : Skate-A-Round | 4 seasons
- I teach privately, meaning time, content and place are tailor-made.
- 1-2 persons or a family per rollerblading workshop.
- Skating instruction in the morning is the best, when it is still quiet in the park. In the park I teach early to make it corona proof.
- 7 days a week inline skate classes, possibly under a roof in Amsterdam during weekdays if necessary,
- choice of seven braking techniques. (see below).
- I teach one person/one couple a day.
- Other skills to master during the private skating courses: basic inline skating skills forwards, skate fitness, streetwise for freeride | freeskating, speedskating and freestyle slalom forward and backwards. (For skatedancing however I refer you to the best in AMS.)
- Skating instructor Amsterdam, teaching in French, German, Dutch or English.
- For whom? Absolute beginners, experienced skaters, skaters eager to brake great (!) , body & mind fitness workout on inline skates
EUR 72.50 per private skate lesson as a whole. (tikkie, bank transfer or cash)
- Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skating class as a whole for students and seniors 65+.
- Skates & protection: Do you have your own skates?
And protection? (wrist guards, kneepads and elbow pads and a helmet.) I do have protection to borrow, tell me.
- In case of a wet surface (rain), we see if EYE is an option and if not we postpone and set a new date together.
I hope to show you my enthusiasm for inline skating and teach you skills and tricks. Let me know your prefered day, spot and what skill(s) you would like to master.
Inline skate lessons all year long in Amsterdam under a roof with a view
With autumn bringing quite some rain, Skate-A-Round have found a solution to keep the tarmac and you (and me) dry. And by still being able to enjoy Amsterdam and the outdoors. And yes, this is an inline skating teaching spot with a view. :)
This skate clinic hotspot is opposite the Amsterdam Central Station. And easily to be reached by the free ferry to Amsterdam-North. It is next to A’dam Tower, This is Holland, Shell and the luxurious Overhoeks quartier.
Next to what you see on the picture there is a lawn where we practise all your new abilities statically first.
The only “but” you and us have to take into account, is that we cannot reserve this skate spot. This involves a small risk.
(We are looking for an indoor inline skate location in Amsterdam as well.)
By private inline skate teacher of Skate-A-Round – Brand of Lex and the City
Private skate lesson in Amsterdam by the founder of Skate-A-Round
Are you trying your utmost on inline skates in Amsterdam now, but is braking still hard for you? Or have you just bought a pair of rollerskates because the roads are so quiet now and the air so fresh?
Take a private skate lesson, keeping distance during the Corona virus time. And we plan a time the park is quiet and therefore safe and more fun. Everyday I have got 1 spot for 1 person in the morning. Seven days a week, and choice out of 7 parks in AMS. And 7 braking skills to choose from.
Finally, learn how to brake well during an inline skate workshop! And/or become streetwise on your skates.
Reserve a private inline skating lesson with Skate-A-Round in Amsterdam Vondelpark or Oosterpark. (Or one of those other AMS parcs with good tarmac.)
I have been a private inline skate teacher with +20 years of (L)experience. (and IISA certified)
Meaning I teach from absolute beginners until people who would like te learn to skate backwards through the cones. (and everything in between.)
Het Parool newspaper has recently interviewed me (May 2020); The article is to be found on my skate teacher page, written in dutch.)
Free online skate advice on the Skate-A-Round Facebook fanpage Subjects: braking , streetwise skating, freestyle and speed-skating.
Become a fan of Skate-A-Round skating instructor Amsterdam on Facebook:
Seven (other) hotspots for roller blading lessons in Amsterdam with Skate-A-Round
The Vondelpark is traditionally the number 1 hotspot for inline skating.
However, the Oosterpark has a great new surface for roller blading, so we do both.
The Vondelpark has a bigger loop: 3.3 km. (Oosterpark 1.35 km) We can start from a terrace and a skate shop with rental skates is around the corner.
Oosterpark has the newest surface. It is not even finished yet for the full 100%, but that is no problem for the skate workshop. And it is trendy among groups like dance rollerbladers and freestyle skaters.
Other great options with smooth asphalt where Skate-A-Round can teach you rollerblading:
- Park Franckendael,
- Diemerpark (IJburg. Fine for inline speedskating),
- Noorderpark (downhill skating option, I think it is the right place for Carve training, preparing beginners for the snow + muscle and brainprepare training. (And having fun on skates as well obviously.)). Also an option for people coming from Haarlem.
- Westerpark (First “skeeler” hotspot in the Netherlands where I have teached inline skating; 22 years ago. At the same time in 2020 I came to realize Westerpark is a better place for speed training than it is for a beginner lesson. It is doable, but there are other places in Amsterdam which are better when you start inline skating.)
- Bijlmer | Diemen: In the Bijlmer area I teach in the Nelson Mandela Park; this a great park for skating I think.
- Levantplein (Eastern Docklands)
- For skate workouts we recommend Sloterplas by the way.
Heel Stop on inline skates | By private inline skate trainer Lex van Buuren | Short “how to break on skates video” of 12 seconds
This brief video on how to brake on inline skates with the heel stopper has been taken by Monika in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam on the 3rd of June 2019. During the special Friday Night Skate brake lesson.
The emphasis during the inline skate workshop will be on the heelstop. And on fear reduction. Discover the 5 steps to reach your goal. You will not find these 5 steps on any Youtube braking videoclip. It is a result of teaching how to brake on skates for more than 20 years. And of the out of the box personality of your Amsterdam private skate teacher. Easy does it.
I use the metaphor “bury your heel-stopper into the tarmac”.
Other braking techniques to master over Skate-A-Round AMS:
- The plow (The lemon; known from skiing, from the slopes)
- Powerslide backwards (including forwards to backwards transition.)
- The “false start” stop (known from false ice skating starts)
- Lunge stop (making parallel slide first; is great! :))
- Powerslide forward (check beneath! :)
Improve your skate stroke: push & glide
- Go faster
- Feel in flow while improving
- Improve your technique by unlearning some stuff from the past. (Like maybe “V-ing”)
- For more skate tips go the Skate-A-Round Facebook fan page.
Become streetwise on your inline skates in the city
- Learn how to deal with bad surface. With downhills. (And uphills) And with sidewalks. Even with grass.
- Master turning 180 degrees on skates. (And have fun while doing it.)
- What key role does the so-called scissors-exercise play in this process?
- And why is the toe roll key for improving balance while in the city? (Or even rolling on one foot. Or loosen your skates while lounging.)
- How can you use your imagination to get your skates to do what you want them to? (Example: imagine you are pushing from the back of your feet.)
- How to use your consciousness even better. (Example: by feeling what you do, instead of seeing it. Or by focusing on the 95% / 5% rule.)
- Why is stance as important as the movement itself?
- How can you take advantage of your hands for better inline skating?
- What to do in case of sudden rain.
- How to easily jump on- and off- the sidewalks.
- How to stand still; even while standing uphill or very slippery.
- Ask your skate teacher what kind of skates are best suited for town.
- And what role do large skate wheels play in your rolling satisfaction?
- How to interact while skating in a group. (After the Coronavirus period.)
- Why is your unconscious mind so important for achieving your skate goals?
- Downhill skating in Amsterdam? Well… a bit! Check this short videoclip in Diemerpark:
Freestyle skating skills to master with Skate-A-Round
- Rattlesnake backwards (and loads of other slalom skills with the cones)
- Parallel slide
- Skating on 2 wheels
- and more
About skate teacher Lex van Buuren from skate school Skate-A-Round
Your roller skate teacher Lex van Buuren is:
- the owner of the inline skate brand “Skate-A-Round“, having organized skate trips to 10 different destinations for more than 4.000 people;
- certified IISA Skate Teacher;
- administrator of Facebook group “Skateclub Amsterdam” ;
- volunteer of Friday Night Skate Amsterdam since 1998: skate DJ, writer of Facebook posts of the FNS, host…
- He has been teaching inline skating in Paris, London, The French Riviera, New York, Barcelona, Groningen, Texel and of course in Amsterdam.
About the inline skating rental & the time of the lesson in Amsterdam | 1 person (or couple) a day
Bring your own skates and protection! (If you don’t have your own skates you can rent them with for example “Skatedokter”.).
What is your prefered time and day?
Are you prepared to start early in order to create an even safer environment ? (Safety during the Corona Crisis plays an important role.)
I am available in case I do not have something else planned or when the spot has not being taken yet by another skater.
It is pretty cool I think to start very early. (It is quite out of the box and I like that. And it highly improves safety.)
In case of rain or wet surface we cancel the rollerblade lesson 1-2 hours before the start.
Protection is mandatory. Including a skate or bike helmet. Participation at your own risk.
Are you an absolute beginner on inline skates?
Then you need my help even more. ;)
Then we start with position, posture.
It is the basis for good moves.
The grass will help us to do us so 1st, before we start to go on the tarmac.
How much does the inline skate workshop cost?
With more persons the total price will be an additional EUR 7,50 per person more. (Not possible in Coronacrisis time.)
During the Coronavirus crisis it is important to plan a relexed time in the park. Meaning: currently for one person at a time and during quiet hours in the parks.
10AM Mo-Fr, 8AM Sa-So. You can choose from 7 parks and 7 days on 7. (If available on your desired day.)
Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skate workshop as a whole for students, seniors 65+ and people who would like to make 2 short videoclips with their own phone of skating skills, performed by your skating instructor, after your private skate class .
Connect with private inline skate teacher Lex van Buuren of skateschool Skate-A-Round
+31 6 55 33 77 26 (What’s app as well) | firstname.lastname@example.org | The new Facebook page of skateschool Skate-Round
Skate fitness instructor in AMS with total body workout.
Local private guide on inline skates as well | For international inline skate groups
As Lex is a local private guide in Amsterdam as well, he can also guide you or your group through the city of AMS. Or in the countryside; like in Waterland or along river Amstel . We can even include a skate lesson while moving from A to B. (“skate lexercises“)
A great way to get to know Amsterdam, learn new skate tricks, socialize and work out. So join and follow the local tourist guide on inline skates.
Lex has been volunteer for Friday Night Skate as well for 22 years now, giving him a rich knowledge of skate tracks, procedures to follow in town and dealing with roads and traffic. Next to that he started his own private skate service for groups: Skate-A-Round. Meaning tours, travel and lessons. (since 1998)
Maps: I got my own and they are to be found on the web in several places.
I give you one skate track map “the park tour of Amsterdam from my own library which I like very much. Or this skateroute; to Amsterdam beach (Zandvoort, the boulevard)
Skate-A-Round has been organizing international skate weekends and/or skatedays in Amsterdam for Planet Roller from Paris, Skatefresh from London, Rodats from Barcelona (chk beneath) and Madrid Patina. Always in close co-operation with partner Friday Night Skate Amsterdam.
Plse be in time. Organizers, like you and me (?), need time to prepare. To think. To fantasise.
Rodats from Barcelona, publishing the skate day and skate track with us, Skate-A-Round: (enjoy) | May 2019.
Skatefresh from London, announcing a fully booked skate-trip to Amsterdam. (July 2017)
After the roller skating lessons and practicing yourself, you are ready for a skate tour.
An inline skate tour is a great way to practice your technique, get to know new people, catching up with old friends, enjoying the countryside (or city), work on your fitness and even do some networking.
This video shows an example of an inline skate tour in the countryside of East Amsterdam. It is the Sunday Morning Skate; organized by Willem from Amsterdam and Gerard from Haarlem. I have made this 10 seconds video with 10 inline skaters by going in front and than get my camera.
The Skate Lessons in “Het Oosterpark” are part of “the Eastern Lexperiences”.
- walking, biking, footbiking and inline skating in several parts of Amsterdam East
- Inline skate lessons & roller blading training
- SEO copywriting and social media messages for companies involved in leisure, tourism, health and sports in East Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam East micro blogging
IJburg: great combination of superb tarmac (great surface for inline skating) and… Amsterdam beach.
(Do not count in the surface on the beach here… that is not fair. ;))
Want to learn something special? Breaking on inline skates 2.0? Introducing the heel stop one foot.
After having learned braking on inline skates the standard way, it is time for some Lextension.
The “Heel stop 1 foot” is a (L)exercise where you uniquely break on your stopper.
Your left skate is in the air.
This video has been made by Monika Guranova. (a student from skate teacher Amsterdam, Lex van Buuren.)
Wrapping up this skate lessons page with something else: learn how to carve on inline skates | Youtube clip
We wrap up this page about private roller blading lessons in Amsterdam with a trigger.
Carving on inline skates is what Lex adores to do.
And he loves to teach it too.
To you for example. :)
This brief video has been made by Sven Lippert.