Finally learn to brake properly on inline skates * Get streetwise and roll down that curb safe & cool. * Go faster now * Crossover? Why not? * Slalom through the cones * Turn 180 degrees. * Discover the power of scissors…..
Skate•A•Round: tailor-made workshops and tours in Amsterdam and above.
Are you trying your utmost on inline skates in Amsterdam now, but is braking still a challenge for you? Or have you just bought a pair of inline skates because the roads are so quiet now and the air so fresh?
⇒ recent review of a (shared) private Skate•A•Round lesson (June 2022)
National Geographic Travel interviews us (January 2022)
Inline skating deserves to be covered a lot as it has so many benefits for people and offers opportunities; especially in the Corona period. One more reason Lex talked happily with National Geographic Travel:
“Inline skating is much more than just a sport. It is also a great fitness workout where the flow gets you to another level, both mentally AND physically. :) Done in a ZEN way it even has aspects of meditation. Like a downhill in fresh snow. (However, first things first: learning how to push and stride, and braking on skates. )”
Lex, founder of Skate•A•Round in 1998 and private skate instructor and personal trainer.
Inline skate lesson season 2022 has started, and look what this young man accomplishes in his 1st skate clinic!
Off-season news from your Skate•A•Round instructor:
Inline skate lessons all year long in Amsterdam under a roof with a view: off season opportunity
Rollerblade lesson outdoors, with a view AND dry at the same time.
The advantages of indoor & outdoor skating brought together next to A’dam Tower.
Skate-A-Round have found a solution to keep the tarmac and you (and me) dry. And by still being able to enjoy Amsterdam and the outdoors. And yes, this is an inline skating teaching spot with a view. :)
This skate clinic hotspot is opposite the Amsterdam Central Station. And easily to be reached by the free ferry to Amsterdam-North. It is under the roof of EYE filmmuseum and next to A’dam Tower, “This is Holland”, Shell and the luxurious Overhoeks quartier.
Next to what you see on the picture there is a lawn where we practice all your new abilities statically first.
However it is not always possible. The “buts” you and us have to take into account, is that we cannot reserve this skate spot. This involves a small risk. (And a bit more on Sunday)
And it might be tricky with wind coming from the direction Central Station. (South) If the wind and/or the rain are to hard, it is not possible on one side. Or it is just skate-able for 1 person. Strong wind is not only unconformable, but it might also blow water under the roof. The other is not very dependent on that factor, but cars might (suddenly) be parked.
Finally, this bad weather skate location is normally not suitable for so-called “absolute beginners” the moment it is raining. As they want to have a static surface first (grass in this case). However we could also put a yoga math on the wet grass. However if the tarmac is wet but it is dry, practicing on the wet grass is possible. It is up to you if you like that or not; I just offer it. (Your wheels do not turn so it is not harmful for your skates.)
So yes we can plan a date and time, but your skate teacher will check on the day itself if it possible that very day.
By the way: the whole area around EYE (I mean outdoors) is cool. And suitable for all kind of skaters and skills. I consider it is an amazing skate spot! And is even touristic with great views.
Inline skate instruction short facts, including the price.
- I (and we) teach privately, meaning time, content and location are tailor-made. So you can tell me your goal in terms of technique and in terms of what kind of things you fancy to do afterwards. (nightskating in AMS, tours, holiday, tricks, dance…) Off season we only teach “between EYE and IJ”, by the way.
- 1-2 persons per rollerblading workshop.
- € 72.50 per private skate lesson as a whole of 90 minutes. (tikkie, bank transfer or cash.) For absolute beginners and children 2 sessions of 45 minutes are possible as well, for 2 times * € 45,- per lesson. (Why?) Amstelveen and location Haarlem € 20,- surcharge per lesson date. (Payment with “tikkie” or in cash after the skate lesson.) Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skating class as a whole for students and seniors 65+. (Not in combination with the early bird reduction and per total lesson.)
- Bring your own skates & protection. Do you have your own skates? And skate protection? (wrist guards, knee-pads and elbow pads and a helmet.) I do have protection to borrow, tell me. We do not rent skates. (However it is possible at 2 skateshops in Amsterdam.) And wear socks that match the height of your skates.
- Afterwards you will receive a Lexclusive page with 6 ways how to squeeze all out of a private Skate•A•Round lesson.
- Skating instruction in the morning is the best, when it is still quiet in the park. In the park teaching early provides the best results. (Ask me why, when needed.)
- I make some technical pictures and video to recapture at home and have some fun on the table afterwards. (If you like that idea.)
- English speaking locals are looking for an inline–skate mate to be taught skating together and therefore split costs. Send us an app or mail or call me for me to be able to add you to the (small & informal) Whatsapp group with locals interested sharing a skate-lesson. (1+1 = 2; not more; and plse read this first))
- Me as a tutor I teach one skate workshop a day, as I am a local guide and coach as well.
- Other skills to master during the private skating courses: basic inline skating skills forwards, skate fitness, streetwise for freeride | freeskating, speedskating and freestyle slalom forward and backwards. (For skatedancing however I refer you to someone else in AMS.)
- Skating instructor Amsterdam, teaching in French, German, Dutch or English.
- For whom? Absolute beginners, experienced skaters, skaters eager to brake great (!) , body & mind fitness work out on inline skates.
- In case of a wet surface and/or rain and not too much wind, we check if under the open-air roof of Film museum EYE is an option, and if not we postpone and set a new date together. This location we call “between EYE and IJ” and is our off season standard location. (Under the roof or in the (great) area around.) opposite Central Station.
I hope to show you my enthusiasm for inline skating and teach you skills and tricks. Let me know your preferred day, spot and what skill(s) you would like to master.
“Customer: “When I was young, I did skate, but I think I completely forgot about it. ”
Skate•A•Round reply: : “I don’t think so, it is just far in the back of your brain, ready to be put in front again. “So no, you have not forgotten what you have learnt in your youth; it is just somewhere hidden in your unconscious. ;) And yes, by rehearsing and learning techniques, together with the joy it brings and having a goal, including a “power of why”, it is a good recipe for getting rid of fear.”
My philosophy is that most of your growth happens outside, around a class. Because of the unconscious mind, helping and working on you without you even skating that moment.
Inline skate lessons for children in Amsterdam from the skating-tutor
About skate teacher Lex van Buuren, founder of Skate•A•Round
Your roller skate teacher Lex van Buuren is:
- the owner of the inline skate brand “Skate•A•Round“, having organized skate trips to 10 different destinations for more than 4.000 people;
- certified IISA Skate Teacher;
- administrator of Facebook group “Skategroep Amsterdam” ;
- volunteer of Friday Night Skate Amsterdam since 1998: skate DJ, writer of Facebook posts of the FNS, host…
- He has been teaching inline skating in Paris, London, The French Riviera, New York, Barcelona, Groningen, Texel and of course in Amsterdam.
- I have been a private inline skate teacher with +20 years of (L)experience.
Meaning I teach from absolute beginners until people who would like te learn to skate backwards through the cones. (and everything in between.)
Het Parool newspaper has interviewed me twice (In 2020 and 2022); The 1st article is to be found on my skate teacher page, written in dutch.)
Take a private skate lesson in Amsterdam. We plan a time when the park is quiet and therefore safe and more fun.
Everyday I have got 1 spot for 1-2 persons, preferably in the morning, when your learning ability is probably at it’s highest.
Finally, learn how to brake well during an inline skate workshop! And/or become streetwise on your skates.
Reserve a private inline skating lesson with Skate•A•Round in Amsterdam Vondelpark or Oosterpark. (Or one of those other 12 Amsterdam inline skating spots with good tarmac.) ⇓
14 locations for inline skating lessons in Amsterdam with Skate•A•Round.
We’ve got the location for a skate lesson near you!
Locations in Amsterdam with smooth asphalt where Skate•A•Round can teach you rollerblading:
- Park Frankendael: It is a safe and cool park in a relative safe area. (Amsterdam East) Good park for beginners. Even in the afternoon it is mostly quiet. Almost a hidden skate gem. ;) Meetingpoint Park Frankendael
- Bijlmer | Diemen: In the Bijlmer area I teach in the Nelson Mandela Park; this a great park for skating I think. Why? Because it is quiet, rich of “hidden gem skate paths” and great tarmac.
- “Between EYE and IJ” Multi-skate spot, next to the film museum, Safe & Cool hotspot. And with a view. ;) Both for speed-skaters eager to finally learn how to break ;) , freestyle skaters and also beginners. In the afternoon EYE is a good solution: both because in the afternoon there is space along the water. And it is our solution in case of wet surface/rain. Plse read the chapter : “Inline skate lessons all year long in Amsterdam under a roof with a view” here
- The Vondelpark is traditionally the number 1 hotspot for inline skating.
The Vondelpark has the big loop: 3.3 km. We’d start from the/in front of the terrace of Tennisclub Kattenlaan and a skate shop with rental skates + protection is around the corner. Or here, where there are benches.
Busy? Embarrassing 😬? We know a smooth lane and place which is not on the (busy) big loop. Vondelpark on Sunday is distracting. For full concentration on your growth I’d choose another learning-spot.
- Oosterpark has the newest surface. Oosterpark’s big loops counts 1.35 km. It is not even finished yet for the full 100%, but that is no problem for the skate workshop. And it is trendy among groups like dance rollerbladers and freestyle skaters. Oosterpark in the afternoon and evening is normally too crowdy. However if the weather is “sporty” (not warm) it will be OK. We could decide to meetup in the morning at 9 or 10. For weekends starting after 11AM we’d advice Park Frankendael.
- Zeeburgereiland, Zuider IJdijk
- Diemerpark (IJburg. Fine for inline speedskating). However for beginners and fitness skaters we have a good spot to begin and perform the class:
- Noorderpark (downhill skating option, I think it is the right place for Carve training, preparing beginners for the snow + muscle and brainprepare training. (And having fun on skates as well obviously.)). Also an option for people coming from Haarlem.
- Westerpark (First “skeeler” hotspot in the Netherlands where I have teached inline skating; 22 years ago. At the same time in 2020 I came to realize Westerpark is a better place for speed training than it is for a beginner lesson. It is doable, but there are other places in Amsterdam which are better when you start inline skating.)
- Centrumeiland, IJburg 2.0: It is like a hidden gem, but then for skaters. Parking: Papa Koendersstraat (virtually next to the skateteach spot.) Picture, made in the beginning of September 2021:
- Javaplantsoen (Indische Buurt)
- Levantplein (Eastern Docklands)
- For skate workouts we recommend Sloterplas by the way. * Amsterdam Nieuw-West
- Amstelveen: Amsterdamse Bos and Peter Postbaan
- Further outside Amsterdam; for example Zuiderpark the Hague: I teach privately, so Den Haag would be possible as well theoretically. However it would cost quite some more. It would take me 4-5 hours I guess. (Skating to Amsterdam station CS, by train, then skating to Zuiderpark, the skate lesson with you, and then back.)
Zeeburgereiland: new location in Amsterdam since winter 2021.
IJburg: great combination of superb tarmac (great surface for inline skating) and… Amsterdam beach.
(Do not count in the surface on the beach here… that is not fair. ;))
Skating skills to master.
Do you still have fear?
Perhaps something nasty happened on skates in the past that still makes you anxious. While you just love inline skating so much. I am specialized in anxiety reduction because I have extensively studied the functioning of the subconscious mind. My example concerning the subconscious mind, is dr. Joe Dispenza.(And I practice his method as well.)
Heel Stop on inline skates | By private inline skate trainer Lex van Buuren | Short “how to break on skates video” of 12 seconds
This brief video on how to brake on inline skates with the heel stopper has been taken by Monika in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam on the 3rd of June 2019. During the special Friday Night Skate brake lesson.
The emphasis during an inline skate workshop could be on the heelstop. And on fear reduction. Discover the 5 steps to reach your goal. You will not find these 5 steps on any Youtube braking videoclip. It is a result of teaching how to brake on skates for more than 20 years. (And of the out of the box personality of your Amsterdam private skate teacher.) Easy does it.
I use the metaphor “bury your heel-stopper into the tarmac”.
Scissors; the one skills everyone wants to master. (and needs! :) )
Because: Turning is mastering scissors and adding your hands to make you turn.
And scissors are THE necessity for mastering tram-rails and sidewalks during the Friday Night Skate.
AND scissors are the basics for being able to brake with the heel-brake. The grass stop is great to get you in flow. And way easier then what you see on the picture.
So:”Great skill to master! :)
Other braking techniques to master over Skate-A-Round AMS:
- The plow (Also known as “the lemon”; known from skiing, from the slopes.)
- Powerslide backwards (including forwards to backwards transition.)
- The “false start” stop (known from false ice skating starts.)
- Lunge stop (making parallel slide first; is great! :))
- Powerslide forward (check beneath! :)
Learn how to fall on inline skates. (And get rid of your fear.)
How many hours you need to complete the basics of inline skating.
Try one session first. It is different per person, however 2 classes could help a lot for basics, as I teach you how to learn without me a lot more. Quite some people tend to think the learning only takes place during the lesson, however this is (fortunately) not the case. :)
Free online skate advice on the Skate-A-Round Facebook fanpage Subjects: braking , streetwise skating, freestyle and speed-skating.
Become a fan of Skate-A-Round skating instructor Amsterdam on Facebook:
Improve your skate stroke: push & glide
- Go faster.
- Feel in flow while improving.
- Improve your technique by unlearning some stuff from the past. (Like maybe “V-ing”)
- For more skate tips go the Skate-A-Round Facebook fan page.
Become streetwise on your inline skates in the city
- Learn how to deal with bad surface. With downhills. (And uphills) And with sidewalks. Even with grass. Inline skaters ask for good tarmac. However, some bad parts are logical as well. It would be good if more inline skaters learn how to deal with bad tarmac (bad asphalt) That is what I teach.
- Master turning 180 degrees on inline skates. (And have fun while doing it.)
- What key role does the so-called scissors-exercise play in this process?
- And why is the toe roll key for improving balance while in the city? (Or even rolling on one foot. Or loosen your skates while lounging.)
- How can you use your imagination to get your skates to do what you want them to? (Example: imagine you are pushing from the back of your feet.)
- How to use your consciousness even better. (Example: by feeling what you do, instead of seeing it. Or by focusing on the 80% / 20% rule.)
- Why is stance as important as the movement itself?
- How can you take advantage of your hands for better inline skating?
- What to do in case of sudden rain.
- How to easily jump on- and off- the sidewalks.
- How to stand still; even while standing uphill or very slippery.
- Ask your skate teacher what kind of skates are best suited for town. Some thoughts
- And what role do large skate wheels play in your rolling satisfaction?
- How to interact while skating in a group. (It is possible again; Friday Night Skate just started in August 2021 again, after being forced to stop because of Corona.)
- Why is your unconscious mind so important for achieving your skate goals?
- Downhill skating in Amsterdam? Well… a bit! Check this short videoclip in Diemerpark, next to IJburg:
A great playground for a private streetwise inline skate lesson in Amsterdam is “between EYE and IJ” (on the waterside with a great view and streetwise variety all over the place.
Freestyle skating skills to master with Skate-A-Round
- Rattlesnake backwards (and loads of other slalom skills with the cones)
- Parallel slide
- Skating on 2 wheels
- and more
One online skate tip from your personal trainer, as a result of a recent inline skate workshop in Amsterdam
Get more (brief) advice about inline skating, by subscribing on Facebook.
Are you an absolute beginner on inline skates?
Then you need my help even more. ;)
Then we start with position, posture.
It is the basis for good moves.
The grass will help us to do us so 1st, before we start to go on the tarmac.
Want to learn something special? Breaking on inline skates 2.0? Introducing the heel stop one foot.
After having learned braking on inline skates the standard way, it is time for some Lextension.
The “Heel stop 1 foot” is a (L)exercise where you uniquely break on your stopper.
Your left skate is in the air.
This video has been made by Monika Guranova. (a student from skate teacher Amsterdam, Lex van Buuren.)
Learn how to carve on inline skates | Youtube clip
We wrap up this page about private roller blading lessons in Amsterdam with a trigger.
Carving on inline skates is what Lex adores to do.
And he loves to teach it too.
To you for example. :)
This brief video has been made by Sven Lippert.
Skate fitness instructor in AMS with total body workout.
Dit bericht bekijken op Instagram
Total skate fitness workout today. :) Including private workshop given with skate braking + parallel turn + speed with 125mm wheels. After lunch my own freestyle session with buddy and purple 76mm skates. Working the cones, backwards, skating on 2 wheels and powerslides. Amazing feeling :) Amsterdam skate city #fitness #workout #freestyle #skateinstructor #inlineskating #skatearoound #rollerblade #maxxum125 #bodymind
After the roller skating lessons and practicing yourself, you are ready for a skate tour.
An inline skate tour is a great way to practice your technique, get to know new people, catching up with old friends, enjoying the countryside (or city), work on your fitness and even do some networking.
This video shows an example of an inline skate tour in the countryside of East Amsterdam. It is the Sunday Morning Skate; organized by Willem from Amsterdam and Gerard from Haarlem. I have made this 10 seconds video with 10 inline skaters by going in front and than get my camera.
The skills you foremost need for participating in the famous Friday Night Skate Amsterdam
For being able to join “FNS”, you foremost need three things:
– Good braking
– Enough speed
These are essential for safety reasons.
Not being able to finish the night-skate the 1st time however, might be a pity, but trams (and shoes) are available. ;) It is not an exam.
Who is booking private skate classes in Amsterdam with us?
- Skate tourists: people visiting Amsterdam and booking a private skate lessons as part of the program.
- Absolute beginners, beginners, intermediate skaters
- Speed skaters, eager to master the differences with ice skating
- Parents, booking a skate class for their child. (and them as well, sometimes)
- People giving it is as a birthday present to someone who adores being able to skate (better).
- More women then man.
- All ages; most of them 30-40
About the inline skating rental & the time of the lesson in Amsterdam | 1 person (or couple) a day
Bring your own skates and protection! (If you don’t have your own skates you can rent them with for example “Skatedokter”.).
What is your preferred time and day?
Are you prepared to start early in order to create an even safer environment and faster learning ?
Make sure you reserve by using the What’s app button here on the right.
I am available in case I do not have something else planned or when the spot has not being taken yet by another skater.
It is pretty cool I think to start very early. (It is quite out of the box and I like that. And it highly improves safety.)
In case of rain or wet surface we cancel the rollerblade lesson 1-2 hours before the start.
Protection is mandatory. Including a skate or bike helmet. Participation at your own risk.
It is important to plan a relexed time in the park. Meaning: during quiet hours in the parks.
Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skate workshop as a whole for students, seniors 65+.
Connect with private inline skate teacher Lex van Buuren of skateschool Skate-A-Round
Last minute bookings during the season in the weekend are normally difficult.
Local private guide on inline skates as well | For international inline skate groups
As Lex is a local private guide in Amsterdam as well, he can also guide you or your group through the city of AMS. Or in the countryside; like in Waterland or along river Amstel . We can even include a skate lesson while moving from A to B. (“skate lexercises“)
A great way to get to know Amsterdam, learn new skate tricks, socialize and work out. So join and follow the local tourist guide on inline skates.
Lex has been volunteer for Friday Night Skate as well for 22 years now, giving him a rich knowledge of skate tracks, procedures to follow in town and dealing with roads and traffic. Next to that he started his own private skate service for groups: Skate-A-Round. Meaning tours, travel and lessons. (since 1998)
For international groups there are 3 options: an exchange with the locals in the form of a tour (or weekend) together in the countryside for example, a guided tour by Skate-A-Round and just giving maps.
Maps: I got my own and they are to be found on the web in several places.
I give you one skate track map “the park tour of Amsterdam from my own library which I like very much. Or this skateroute; to Amsterdam beach (Zandvoort, the boulevard)
Skate-A-Round has been organizing international skate weekends and/or skatedays in Amsterdam for Planet Roller from Paris, Skatefresh from London, Rodats from Barcelona (chk beneath) and Madrid Patina. Always in close co-operation with partner Friday Night Skate Amsterdam.
Plse be in time. Organizers, like you and me (?), need time to prepare. To think. To fantasise.
Rodats from Barcelona, publishing the skate day and skate track with us, Skate-A-Round: (enjoy) | May 2019.
Skatefresh from London, announcing a fully booked skate-trip to Amsterdam. (July 2017)
We are honoured Asha Kirkby has asked us 3 times to be the local skate guide in AMS for her international skate travel groups and fans in the Netherlands.)