Finally learn to brake properly on inline skates * Get streetwise and roll down that curb safe & cool. * Go faster now * Crossover? Why not? * Slalom through the cones * Turn 180 degrees. * Discover the power of scissors…..
“Inline skating is much more than just a sport. It is also a great fitness workout where the flow gets you to another level, both mentally AND physically. :) Done in a ZEN way it even has aspects of meditation. Like a downhill in fresh snow. (However, first things first: learning how to push and stride, and braking on skates. )”
Lex, founder of Skate•A•Round in 1998 and private skate instructor and personal trainer.
On August 24th Skate•A•Round lexists 24 years. (24 hours long)
Index Skate•A•Round teacher Amsterdam
- Short facts Inline skate instruction and personal training on wheels in Amsterdam
- Locations for skate lessons and personal skate training in Amsterdam and Amstelveen
- Bad weather skate location (It’s area around is also cool.)
- How to get the max out of 1 Skate•A•Round beginners workshop
- Become streetwise by taking a skate lesson
- Reviews on Google about the Skate•A•Round private lessons
- About Skate•A•Round teacher Lex van Buuren
- Us and FNS being local skate guides AMS for Skatefresh Asha
By the way: English speaking AMS locals are looking for an inline–skate mate to be taught skating together and therefore split costs.
Send me, skate tutor, an app or mail or call me for me to be able to add you to the (small) Whats app group with locals interested sharing a skate-lesson. (1+1 = 2; not more; and plse read this first))
Inline skate instruction and personal training on wheels in Amsterdam: short facts, including the price.
- I teach privately, meaning time, content and place are tailor-made. So you can tell me your goal in terms of technique and in terms of what kind of things you fancy to do afterwards. (nightskating in AMS, tours, holiday, tricks, dance…)
- 1-2 persons per rollerblading workshop.
- Skating instruction in the morning is the best, when it is still quiet in the park. In the park I teach early to make it corona proof.
- Bring your own skates & protection. Do you have your own skates? And skate protection? (wrist guards, knee-pads and elbow pads and a helmet.) I do have protection to borrow, tell me. I do not rent skates. (However it is possible at 2 skateshops in Amsterdam.) And wear socks that match the height of your skates.
- I make some technical pictures and video to recapture at home and have some fun on the table afterwards. (If you like that idea.)
- € 72.50 per private skate lesson as a whole of 90 minutes. (tikkie, bank transfer or cash.) Amstelveen and location Haarlem € 20,- surcharge. For absolute beginners and children 2 sessions of 45 minutes are possible as well, for 2 times * € 45,- per lesson. (Why?)
- Me as a tutor I teach one skate workshop a day.
- Other skills to master during the private skating courses: basic inline skating skills forwards, skate fitness, streetwise for freeride | freeskating, speedskating and freestyle slalom forward and backwards. (For skatedancing however I refer you to someone else in AMS.)
- Skating instructor Amsterdam, teaching in French, German, Dutch or English.
- For whom? Absolute beginners, experienced skaters, skaters eager to brake great (!) , body & mind fitness workout on inline skates
- Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skating class as a whole for students and seniors 65+.
- In case of a wet surface and/or rain and not too much wind, we check if under the open-air roof of Film museum EYE is an option, and if not we postpone and set a new date together.
I hope to show you my enthusiasm for inline skating and teach you skills and tricks. Let me know your preferred day, spot and what skill(s) you would like to master.
One online skate tip from your personal trainer, as a result of a recent inline skate workshop in Amsterdam
Get more (brief) advice about inline skating, by subscribing on Facebook.
“Customer: “When I was young, I did skate, but I think I completely forgot about it. ”
Inline skate lessons for children in Amsterdam from Skate•A•Round tutor
How many hours you need to complete the basics of inline skating.
Try one session first. It is different per person, however 2 classes could help a lot for basics, as I teach you how to learn without me a lot more. Quite some people tend to think the learning only takes place during the lesson, however this is (fortunately) not the case. :)
Inline skate lessons all year long in Amsterdam under a roof with a view
The advantages of indoor & outdoor skating brought together next to A’dam Tower.
Skate-A-Round have found a solution to keep the tarmac and you (and me) dry. And by still being able to enjoy Amsterdam and the outdoors. And yes, this is an inline skating teaching spot with a view. :)
This skate clinic hotspot is opposite the Amsterdam Central Station. And easily to be reached by the free ferry to Amsterdam-North. It is under the roof of EYE filmmuseum and next to A’dam Tower, “This is Holland”, Shell and the luxurious Overhoeks quartier.
Next to what you see on the picture there is a lawn where we practice all your new abilities statically first.
However it is not always possible. The “buts” you and us have to take into account, is that we cannot reserve this skate spot. This involves a small risk. (And a bit more on Sunday)
And it might be tricky with wind coming from the direction Central Station. (South) If the wind and/or the rain are to hard, it is not possible on one side. Or it is just skateable for 1 person. Strong wind is not only unconformable, but it might also blow water under the roof. The other is not very dependant on that factor, but cars might (suddenly) be parked.
Finally this bad weather skate location is not suitable for so-called “absolute beginners” the moment it is raining. As they want to have a static surface first (grass in this case). However I could aslo put a yoga math on the wet grass.
However if the tarmac is wet but it is dry, practising on the wet grass is possible. It is up to you if you like that or not; I just offer it. (Your wheels do not turn so it is not harmful for your skates.)
By the way: the whole area around EYE (I mean outdoors) is cool. And suitable for all kind of skaters and skills. I consider it an amazing skate spot! And is even touristic with great views.
Private skate lesson in Amsterdam by the founder of Skate-A-Round
Are you trying your utmost on inline skates in Amsterdam now, but is braking still hard for you? Or have you just bought a pair of inline rskates because the roads are so quiet now and the air so fresh?
Take a private skate lesson, keeping distance during the Corona crisis period. And we plan a time the park is quiet and therefore safe and more fun. Everyday I have got 1 spot for 1 person in the morning. Seven days a week, and choice out of 7 parks in AMS. And 7 braking skills to choose from.
Finally, learn how to brake well during an inline skate workshop! And/or become streetwise on your skates.
Reserve a private inline skating lesson with Skate-A-Round in Amsterdam Vondelpark or Oosterpark. (Or one of those other AMS parcs with good tarmac.)
I have been a private inline skate teacher with +20 years of (L)experience. (and IISA certified)
Meaning I teach from absolute beginners until people who would like te learn to skate backwards through the cones. (and everything in between.)
Het Parool newspaper has recently interviewed me (May 2020); The article is to be found on my skate teacher page, written in dutch.)
Learn how to fall on inline skates. (And get rid of your fear.)
Free online skate advice on the Skate-A-Round Facebook fanpage Subjects: braking , streetwise skating, freestyle and speed-skating.
Become a fan of Skate-A-Round skating instructor Amsterdam on Facebook:
14 locations for roller blading lessons in Amsterdam with Skate•A•Round.
The Vondelpark is traditionally the number 1 hotspot for inline skating.
However, the Oosterpark has become the new place to be for freeskaters and rollerskaters. However we’ve got the location for a skate lesson near you:
The Vondelpark has the big loop: 3.3 km. We’d start from the/in front of the terrace of Tennisclub Kattenlaan and a skate shop with rental skates + protection is around the corner.
Oosterpark has the newest surface. Oosterpark’s big loops counts 1.35 km. It is not even finished yet for the full 100%, but that is no problem for the skate workshop. And it is trendy among groups like dance rollerbladers and freestyle skaters. Oosterpark in the afternoon is normally too crowdy. However if the weather is “sporty” (not warm) it will be OK. We could decide to meetup in the morning at 9. For weekends starting after 11AM we’d advice Park Frankendael.
Other great locations in Amsterdam with smooth asphalt where Skate•A•Round can teach you rollerblading:
Park Frankendael: to be honest, this is becoming one of my favorites for skate teaching. It is a safe and cool park in a relative safe area. (Amsterdam East) Very good park for this purpose. Even in the afternoon it is mostly quiet. Almost a hidden skate gem. ;) Meetingpoint Park Frankendael
- EYE filmmuseum, Safe & Cool hotspot. And with a view. ;) Both for speedskaters eager to finally learn how to break ;) , freestylers and also beginners. In the afternoon EYE is a good solution: both because in the afternoon there is space along the water. And it is our solution in case of wet surface/rain. Plse read the chapter : “Inline skate lessons all year long in Amsterdam under a roof with a view” here
- Diemerpark (IJburg. Fine for inline speedskating),
- Noorderpark (downhill skating option, I think it is the right place for Carve training, preparing beginners for the snow + muscle and brainprepare training. (And having fun on skates as well obviously.)). Also an option for people coming from Haarlem.
- Westerpark (First “skeeler” hotspot in the Netherlands where I have teached inline skating; 22 years ago. At the same time in 2020 I came to realize Westerpark is a better place for speed training than it is for a beginner lesson. It is doable, but there are other places in Amsterdam which are better when you start inline skating.)
- Bijlmer | Diemen: In the Bijlmer area I teach in the Nelson Mandela Park; this a great park for skating I think.
- Centrumeiland, IJburg 2.0: It is like a hidden gem, but then for skaters. Parking: Papa Koendersstraat (virtually next to the skateteach spot.) Picture, made in the beginning of September 2021:
- Javaplantsoen (Indische Buurt)
- Levantplein (Eastern Docklands)
- For skate workouts we recommend Sloterplas by the way. * Amsterdam Nieuw-West
- Amstelveen: Amsterdamse Bos and Peter Postbaan
- Further outside Amsterdam; for example Zuiderpark the Hague: I teach privately, so Den Haag would be possible as well theoretically. However it would cost quite some more. It would take me 4-5 hours I guess. (Skating to Amsterdam station CS, by train, then skating to Zuiderpark, the skate lesson with you, and then back.)
Heel Stop on inline skates | By private inline skate trainer Lex van Buuren | Short “how to break on skates video” of 12 seconds
This brief video on how to brake on inline skates with the heel stopper has been taken by Monika in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam on the 3rd of June 2019. During the special Friday Night Skate brake lesson.
The emphasis during an inline skate workshop could be on the heelstop. And on fear reduction. Discover the 5 steps to reach your goal. You will not find these 5 steps on any Youtube braking videoclip. It is a result of teaching how to brake on skates for more than 20 years. (And of the out of the box personality of your Amsterdam private skate teacher.) Easy does it.
I use the metaphor “bury your heel-stopper into the tarmac”.
Other braking techniques to master over Skate-A-Round AMS:
- The plow (The lemon; known from skiing, from the slopes.)
- Powerslide backwards (including forwards to backwards transition.)
- The “false start” stop (known from false ice skating starts.)
- Lunge stop (making parallel slide first; is great! :))
- Powerslide forward (check beneath! :)
Improve your skate stroke: push & glide
- Go faster.
- Feel in flow while improving.
- Improve your technique by unlearning some stuff from the past. (Like maybe “V-ing”)
- For more skate tips go the Skate-A-Round Facebook fan page.
Become streetwise on your inline skates in the city
- Learn how to deal with bad surface. With downhills. (And uphills) And with sidewalks. Even with grass.
- Master turning 180 degrees on inline skates. (And have fun while doing it.)
- What key role does the so-called scissors-exercise play in this process?
- And why is the toe roll key for improving balance while in the city? (Or even rolling on one foot. Or loosen your skates while lounging.)
- How can you use your imagination to get your skates to do what you want them to? (Example: imagine you are pushing from the back of your feet.)
- How to use your consciousness even better. (Example: by feeling what you do, instead of seeing it. Or by focusing on the 95% / 5% rule.)
- Why is stance as important as the movement itself?
- How can you take advantage of your hands for better inline skating?
- What to do in case of sudden rain.
- How to easily jump on- and off- the sidewalks.
- How to stand still; even while standing uphill or very slippery.
- Ask your skate teacher what kind of skates are best suited for town. Some thoughts
- And what role do large skate wheels play in your rolling satisfaction?
- How to interact while skating in a group. (It is possible again; Friday Night Skate has just started; August 13th, 2021.)
- Why is your unconscious mind so important for achieving your skate goals?
- Downhill skating in Amsterdam? Well… a bit! Check this short videoclip in Diemerpark:
A great playground for a private streetwise inline skate lesson in Amsterdam is “between EYE and IJ” (on the waterside with a great view and streetwise variety all over the place.
Freestyle skating skills to master with Skate-A-Round
- Rattlesnake backwards (and loads of other slalom skills with the cones)
- Parallel slide
- Skating on 2 wheels
- and more
About skate teacher Lex van Buuren from skate school Skate-A-Round
Your roller skate teacher Lex van Buuren is:
- the owner of the inline skate brand “Skate-A-Round“, having organized skate trips to 10 different destinations for more than 4.000 people;
- certified IISA Skate Teacher;
- administrator of Facebook group “Skategroep Amsterdam” ;
- volunteer of Friday Night Skate Amsterdam since 1998: skate DJ, writer of Facebook posts of the FNS, host…
- He has been teaching inline skating in Paris, London, The French Riviera, New York, Barcelona, Groningen, Texel and of course in Amsterdam.
About the inline skating rental & the time of the lesson in Amsterdam | 1 person (or couple) a day
Bring your own skates and protection! (If you don’t have your own skates you can rent them with for example “Skatedokter”.).
What is your prefered time and day?
Are you prepared to start early in order to create an even safer environment ? (Safety during the Corona Crisis plays an important role.)
I am available in case I do not have something else planned or when the spot has not being taken yet by another skater.
It is pretty cool I think to start very early. (It is quite out of the box and I like that. And it highly improves safety.)
In case of rain or wet surface we cancel the rollerblade lesson 1-2 hours before the start.
Protection is mandatory. Including a skate or bike helmet. Participation at your own risk.
Are you an absolute beginner on inline skates?
Then you need my help even more. ;)
Then we start with position, posture.
It is the basis for good moves.
The grass will help us to do us so 1st, before we start to go on the tarmac.
How much does the inline skate workshop cost?
It is important to plan a relexed time in the park. Meaning: during quiet hours in the parks.
Reduction EUR 15,- per inline skate workshop as a whole for students, seniors 65+.
Connect with private inline skate teacher Lex van Buuren of skateschool Skate-A-Round
+31 6 55 33 77 26 (What’s app as well) | firstname.lastname@example.org | The new Facebook page of skateschool Skate-Round
Skate fitness instructor in AMS with total body workout.
Local private guide on inline skates as well | For international inline skate groups
As Lex is a local private guide in Amsterdam as well, he can also guide you or your group through the city of AMS. Or in the countryside; like in Waterland or along river Amstel . We can even include a skate lesson while moving from A to B. (“skate lexercises“)
A great way to get to know Amsterdam, learn new skate tricks, socialize and work out. So join and follow the local tourist guide on inline skates.
Lex has been volunteer for Friday Night Skate as well for 22 years now, giving him a rich knowledge of skate tracks, procedures to follow in town and dealing with roads and traffic. Next to that he started his own private skate service for groups: Skate-A-Round. Meaning tours, travel and lessons. (since 1998)
Maps: I got my own and they are to be found on the web in several places.
I give you one skate track map “the park tour of Amsterdam from my own library which I like very much. Or this skateroute; to Amsterdam beach (Zandvoort, the boulevard)
Skate-A-Round has been organizing international skate weekends and/or skatedays in Amsterdam for Planet Roller from Paris, Skatefresh from London, Rodats from Barcelona (chk beneath) and Madrid Patina. Always in close co-operation with partner Friday Night Skate Amsterdam.
Plse be in time. Organizers, like you and me (?), need time to prepare. To think. To fantasise.
Rodats from Barcelona, publishing the skate day and skate track with us, Skate-A-Round: (enjoy) | May 2019.
Skatefresh from London, announcing a fully booked skate-trip to Amsterdam. (July 2017)
I am honoured Asha has asked us 3 times to be the local skate guide in AMS for her international skate travel groups and fans in the Netherlands.)
After the roller skating lessons and practising yourself, you are ready for a skate tour.
An inline skate tour is a great way to practice your technique, get to know new people, catching up with old friends, enjoying the countryside (or city), work on your fitness and even do some networking.
This video shows an example of an inline skate tour in the countryside of East Amsterdam. It is the Sunday Morning Skate; organized by Willem from Amsterdam and Gerard from Haarlem. I have made this 10 seconds video with 10 inline skaters by going in front and than get my camera.
The Skate Lessons in “Het Oosterpark” are part of “the Eastern Lexperiences”.
- walking, biking, footbiking and inline skating in several parts of Amsterdam East
- Inline skate lessons & roller blading training
- SEO copywriting and social media messages for companies involved in leisure, tourism, health and sports in East Amsterdam.
- Amsterdam East micro blogging
IJburg: great combination of superb tarmac (great surface for inline skating) and… Amsterdam beach.
(Do not count in the surface on the beach here… that is not fair. ;))
Want to learn something special? Breaking on inline skates 2.0? Introducing the heel stop one foot.
After having learned braking on inline skates the standard way, it is time for some Lextension.
The “Heel stop 1 foot” is a (L)exercise where you uniquely break on your stopper.
Your left skate is in the air.
This video has been made by Monika Guranova. (a student from skate teacher Amsterdam, Lex van Buuren.)
Wrapping up this skate lessons page with something else: learn how to carve on inline skates | Youtube clip
We wrap up this page about private roller blading lessons in Amsterdam with a trigger.
Carving on inline skates is what Lex adores to do.
And he loves to teach it too.
To you for example. :)
This brief video has been made by Sven Lippert.