This webpage contains a story about inline skate lessons for kids in different parks with good tarmac in Amsterdam. I teach more in English than in dutch at the moment. And more and more children are coming to the skate lessons, mostly with their parents, who partly also participate themselves.
Webpage visitors ask Skate•A•Round questions about inline skating lessons for their child in Amsterdam (and Amstelveen)
Questions like these have popped up in my mail/what’s app-box in the first two months of this year:
- Do you conduct any basic inline skating training for kids of age 7?
- Can you teach my child of 8 and me together in a park in AMS?
- Is there a possibility to teach my son? He is 9 years’ old.
- What/who would you recommend for roller blade lessons for a child? (7 years’ old)
- My son of 5 and I both have inline skates and would like to plan a lesson in order for us to get some basic skills.
The teaching of young children is a hot topic for me as we get requests from parents for teaching their 5-6-7-8-9 years’ old kid. A lot of them are expats, and it is one of the reasons this page is written in English.
We have decided for teaching children of 5 years’ old and older. (Me, Lex, I have decided for a minimum age of 8. However my Skate•A•Round teaching partner teaches children starting at the age of 5.)
The recent story of a mother in Amsterdam who convinced me to carry on with kids-proof rollerblading lessons
Read this story of a mother who took a Skate•A•Round lesson together with her daughter.
I first felt uncertain what to offer and which minimum age to set, because I got the feeling young children do not hear what I say. So I have called client and mother Suzanne who I have recently taught her 5-year old daughter skating. (Together with her by the way; chk the picture.)
She told me the child is progressing greatly, is very enthusiastic, she sends skating videos to me, and the child is talking about my teaching quite a lot.
I have kept some parents at hold but after this phone call (recently, March 2021) I should (and will, and did) change my mind.
However I think the age of 8 is the minimum age for me after all. For my Skate•A•Round partner who teaches children quite a lot, it is 5.
Skate•A•Round teaching style to kids in Amsterdam and Amstelveen.
- It might be fun if the parent joins the kid during the lesson.
- We use playful tools like cones and a ball.
- Skate teacher acting a bit like a child himself as well, might help during the rollerblade lesson. ;)
- Preferred playgrounds (locations) for teaching children inline skating in Amsterdam: Noorderpark, Sloterplas, Diemerpark (IJburg), Park Frankendael. Vondelpark as well, next to the kids pool , however just at relaxed times/moments.
- Languages spoken: French, German, English and obviously Dutch.
Skate•A•Round Amsterdam: just private lessons, however…
Skate•A•Round does not do group lessons. If you prefer, we could help you with a contact for kids group lessons. Care on…
To compare (quotation of August 2022):
Do you prefer a private lesson or a kids group class (5-11 years’ old kids)?
All are 45 minutes per class. Private class costs € 45 (In Amsterdam); group class € 15, done by our partner skateschool. Group class: discount 10%. (In Amstelveen, Wednesdays starting 18:00)
Private class in Amstelveen: € 65,-
Skate teacher Raymond quotes about children’s inline skates:
It is important that:
The inline skates are actually customised. children grow, I get that, but just as it is unpleasant to rollerblade with pinched feet, it is just as unpleasant for a child to go out with rollers that are too large. those adjustable inline skates seem handy at first glance, but you can only adjust them in length, not width. The second issue of those adjustable shoes is that the sole of the foot is already adjusted to the print of your foot. if you can, you can adjust the shoe size, but not the imprint, unless you put new soles in it.
2. The rolling. You often see that cheap inline skates do not roll well. the frame material is made of soft plastic and occasionally pinches the wheels, which then do not roll well. The child then has to kick himself completely to move forward. But hey, money is an issue as well. ;)
Landing page of Skate•A•Round Amsterdam private courses
Press on the Skate•A•Round logo for shortfacts about inline skating lessons in Amsterdam with a private inline skating teacher from Skate•A•Round. So we could make an appointment in a park in Amsterdam.
Have a nice skateful day,
Lex, skate teacher Amsterdam | Skate-A-Round on Facebook
PS: send me an app if you’re in need for a good rollerskating (quad) contact of Skate•A•Round. She starts teaching rollerskating (quad skating) with 7 years old children by the way.