We have created an active tour in Amsterdam with the theme sustainability. Moreover: Lex and the City has been integrating that hot (and necessary) topic more and more into the (L)existing, current active & conscious, green tours. Beneath our 1st track and green development bike tour, you will find our 28 durable topics in the whole of Amsterdam.
For us the areas in the capital to check for attractive, appealing sustainable hidden gems, are the East and the North of Amsterdam. That process starts with customers asking us for tailor-made eco tours.
Amsterdam is considered as an eco-friendly town with a leading role.
First bike track and eco-highlights for a 2 hour Lex and the City sustainable development group-tour of 10K
Green development tour of 2 hours, built around the eco-highlights of Marine-terrein, and including parts of the Eastern Docklands and trendy Czaar Peterstraat. By the way, we pass by the sights, tell about it and do not visit. And not all elements will be visible probably during one tour. We start in Czaar Peterstraat, at least when you need to rent a bike first.
- Instock (food) and re-Bell (clothing), paragons of the circular economy in the trendy and conscious Czaar Peterstraat.
- Cacao museum. In Czaar Peterstraat as well. Their cacao tributes to strengthening the local eco-system. (Instead of the opossite, which is more the known rule.)
- Energy-neutral houseboat on the KNSM island.
- The circular crane hotel. Formerly a crane, now a hotel, next to Loods6 on the KNSM island.
- The Jakarta Hotel: the green, bicycle-friendly and modern hotel that is also locally connected to this area.
- Biotope Dijkspark Mediamatic; on the IJ. They also fully contribute to the circular economy. Perhaps Mediamatic can also offer a sustainable vegan lunch. (request)
- Space for food on the Marineterrein by Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions – AMS Institute. The goal is to convert wastewater into new food, using aerospace technology and vertical farming.
- Smart roof 2.0; also on the Marine site. One of the sustainable companies on this sustainability tour.
- Living Lab with its cool and completely 2022 Roboat; the robot boat.
- The self-driving electric bus on the naval area. (Oli)
As the sustainable development tour is taking place in upcoming, trendy neighborhoods, it is not as crowded as in the town center of Amsterdam.
Lex and the city 2023 rates for tours and other leisure experiences in Amsterdam.
28 green & conscious, locations popping up in our mind for being part of sustainable & unusual tours in Amsterdam:
- Eco-friendly living community on the water Schoonschip (Check the 1st Instagram post beneath ⇓)
- De Kas
- Valley at South-Axis (Zuid-As): Extraordinary building AND producing more energy than it consumes. (It has opened on November 17th, 2021.
QO HotelRuby Emma Hotel with it’s rooftop garden with a high-tech greenhouse.
- Jakarta Hotel (zero emission, we mean energy neutral.) More about this energy neutral hotel in this eco article in the Independant.
- Biotoop Mediamatic Dijkspark
- De Ceuvel, this hotspot for sustainability in Amsterdam North is one of the hidden treasures in another “28x blogpost”.
- Noorderlicht (NDSM)
- What happens concerning durability on The Marine Establishment (a lot! :) ) Like Rainroof 2.0, Roboat and Space for food. The AMS institute plays a central role in sustainability on the Marine-terrein.
- VanMoof bikes (Your tour-guide has tried one of their world-widely sold E-bikes.)
- What is about to happen in Bajes Kwartier (Amsterdam East) Now building a 100% energy neutral quarter out of the remains of a former (famous) prison. Including green roofs.
- Haak-In, with a heart for turning plastic garbage into new destinations.
- Science Park
- The zero emission hotel on IJburg:
Breeze Hotel. Four Elements Hotel. (An example of a so-called eco hotel)
- Friday Night Skate Amsterdam (Of which your out of the box guide is volunteer of since 1998.)
- The 2 former gas stations amidst Noorderpark. (recycling)
- “HAUT”. Chk Instagram post ⇓ Eco-friendly wooden tower in trendy Amstelkwartier.
- Impact Hub
- The green city parks, like Noorderpark and Oosterpark.
- Czaar Peterstraat: Instock (fight food-waste) Is this the recycle main street of Amsterdam?
- Het Faire Oosten. (Discover in this store in Oostpoort what fair fashion is doing differently from fast fashion.)
- The worm hotel, for example on the Barcelona square, initiated by Rudy Klaassen. Residents save GFT and share it with the worms. The products compost and worm tea are used again by the residents to green the neighborhood.
- The Oyster Mushrooms project, initiated from a place in the Eastern Docklands.
- Neighborhood garden Oost-Indisch Groen
- The sustainable houseboat in the Levant neighborhood port on KNSM Island, Eastern Docklands
- RE-Bell; clothes from recycled material. Handmade. In Czaar Peterstraat
- City agriculture project “Noordoogst”. (Agricultural Cooperative)
- The neighborhood energy monitor project in the Eastern Docklands: How much is being used AND how much is being generated by the locals? By Resourcefully. (Chk the picture beneath as well with eco-friendly owner Hugo Niesing.)
Biking, footbiking and inline skating in the city is durable as well.
We are acting sustainable as well, by offering active tours, consciously using muscles; experiences (Lexperiences), in the city by bike, on inline skates, by footbike (scooter) and walking tours. And in times of less demand for tour experiences, like during the 1st part of the Corona Crisis, we turn into a green, sporty courier on wheels in the city.
Call Lex at +31 6 55 33 77 26 for a sustainable customized bike tour, or carry on reading what Lex and the City is all about.
The green bike tour needs to be reserved a few weeks in advance, as I need to prepare well.
When riding an ecological biking tour in Amsterdam?
Does everyone know how to bike well? This is a must.
In case it is Saturday , we ask you to plan in the morning. Saturday afternoon is the busiest time of the whole week and it needs to go safely. Midweek starting 2:00 PM is the last time, as rush hours start at 4. Best is to plan earlier, as it happens quite a lot groups arrive later and we want to avoid rush hours and also to disappoint groups while arriving.
Sunday is the safest and most relaxed day for a private Sustainability Biking Tour.
Amsterdam has been voted number 2 city in the world in 2021 by Time Out magazine, partly because of it’s sustainability and it’s green character.
Or I refer you to the Lex and the City landing tour page private guide Amsterdam
View this post on Instagram
Dit bericht op Instagram bekijken